Wireless Security

TomoG 08:39 25 Apr 2008

Hi i recently went onto Wireless but i'm afriad i have not set up any security for it as when i link it up i can see both next door neighbours signals with a padded lock on them but mine hasn't.

I'm worried that someone could hack into it or even use my internet.

Anyone help me?

My Router is made by Belkin and my internet provider is Virgin.

BurrWalnut 09:12 25 Apr 2008

1. Connect the computer to the router using the Ethernet cable so that you can access the router set up details. This is done by typing 192.168.2.1 (I think this is the Belkin address) into a browser address bar window. When asked for the user name and password, type the default values for your router, they may be admin and admin.
2. To set up wireless access, look for a section named wireless or similar wording and find an SSID name and a WEP/WPA key. Make a note of these and/or change the SSID to something more meaningful to you but don‘t use obvious names, like your name. Also, change the key type and value if you wish.
3. Your router may have a section that allows backup and restore of the router configuration. If so, make a backup to enable you to easily restore the set up in the event of having to reset the router.
4. The SSID and key are needed for any wireless computer to connect to a router. The software varies from manufacturer to manufacturer but it involves keying in the SSID and the security key. Right-click the wireless network adapter’s icon in the system tray, open it and follow the prompts to connect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017