wireless security?

morris948 12:07 02 Dec 2007

Hello
just a question about wireless security to ease my mind.
I have a Netgear DG834PN and a WPN111 USB reciever connected to my main PC, it all works great, but i am concerned about the fact that the USB reciever is picking up another wireless router nearby and the Netgear wireless assistant smart wizard reports the MAC address of the other device as well as my own.

I have changed my wireless channel so as to not be the same as the other netgear router it is picking up and also changed the SSID name, ( it also dispalys the channel number of the other device as well).

Is there a security risk of displaying the MAC address for all to see.

Kemistri 14:19 02 Dec 2007
  Ashrich 14:42 02 Dec 2007

It's the MAC address of the router , nothing to worry about , now if it was the MAC address of your wireless adapter , that would be s different story , but it isn't , so all is Ok , just make sure you are using a suitable degree of security , preferably WPA encryption .

Ashley

morris948 14:50 02 Dec 2007

I am using WPA2 encryption, this should suffice i hope.

irishrapter 15:22 02 Dec 2007

WPA2 is the best security there is at the moment be its only as strong as the password you use.

Make sure that the password is not a short simple one that's found in a dictionary, it should be at least 20 random characters long. click here to get some random passwords.

As for MAC addresses I wouldn't worry about them, they are not encrypted anyway and both MAC addresses of the wireless router and adapter of any network (as well as the SSID) can be seen in programmes like "Kismet".
As long as you have WPA or WPA2 enabled you should be okay.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?