wireless rs232

wots it all about 23:00 13 Jul 2006

Hello
Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer data wirelessly via a rs232 connector on a Win95 laptop to another Pc with either Win95 through to Xp?
Thank You!

De Marcus™ 23:16 13 Jul 2006
  wots it all about 23:20 13 Jul 2006

Hello
thank you for that link, I had already found that site myself but I cant find out whether it is compatible with win95?

De Marcus™ 23:36 13 Jul 2006

I think your wasting your time to be honest.

Unless of course you don't mind spending obscene amounts of money for a custom solution.

wots it all about 23:42 13 Jul 2006

Yes I agree! but I was asked the question by a friend who works on the railways...I have quoted it:
"On our electric trains we have traction systems. (five systems on a eight coach train). We have to connect to each one using a RS232 lead. This downloads any faults the traction system has had. We then save it from the laptop onto a 3 1/2 floppy. Our laptops use windows 95 and are old. We have a new type but don't want ot use it as it will get damaged.
Once the logs are saved on the disk we transfer them to the computer system to be run through a macro to highlight faults.
Our train is eight coaches long but in effect two units of four coaches. Therefore we have to go to the middle of the train and open a cupboard up inside to plug the lead in. Once we have downloaded the logs of one unit we move to the next coach and do the same.
Other train builders have put gps systems in which send info back to the depot for instant checking. Alas we are no where near it.
Would you know of any antennas or aerials etc we could plug into the 232 ports of the coaches in the middle of the train and transfer data back? Either to the laptop at the end of the eight coaches or better still a computer in our office when the train has arrived back to the depot?"

So, I was just trying to fathom it out really, but like you say, probably a waste of time!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?