Wireless Routers

mjf85 18:01 04 Feb 2006

HI all

Well I am annoyed, my current router is utter rubbish. Not becuase of the brand or anything but ust becuase it is old and rubbish. I am a student and we have NTL 2MB cable internet. I am going to look at getting a new router to replace my current one, how ever I am only going to be at uni for another 4 months before, all being well, I start a placement year and have to move again. the thing is a a student I have very limited money and I dont want to buy a cable router that will be useless to me when I move and have to use a ADSL line, which is more likly.

My question is a simple one, can I get a router that will support both ADSL and cable connections, not at the same time but I could enable one or the other and if so where from. I know this is asking alot but I thought I would try

Thanks

Mark

keewaa 18:10 04 Feb 2006

Only if you buy an ethernet modem AND a cable/dsl router. I suppose you could buy budget models from ebuyer.

mjf85 18:17 04 Feb 2006

Hi mate

Thats what I thought, damn I really dont have the money for that. Arhwell thanks anyway

Thanks

Mark

mgmcc 18:19 04 Feb 2006

Although theoretically possible, it is extremely difficult to get a separate router and ethernet modem working with ADSL. The reason for this is that, in the UK, ADSL uses PPPoA protocol (PPP over Asynchronous Transfer Mode) whereas stand-alone routers normally only support PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet). I believe there is a D-Link ethernet ADSL modem that works with "Cable/DSL" routers, because the modem can establish the internet connection and then the router uses a "Direct" connection in the same way as when using a Cable modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone