Wireless Routers

shaunmasterson 17:30 17 Jan 2005

I am thinking of buying a new wireless router, it must have at least 2-3 ethernet ports and obviously the wireless connection. I already have a broadband modem and a Wireless PCMICA (??) card for the laptop so that isn't a problem.

What is the best and or what does everyone use?

I also use XBox live.

Shaun

TomJerry 17:32 17 Jan 2005

broadband, ADSL or cable?

broadband modem: good one with ethernet connection or just free (cheap) usb one?

shaunmasterson 17:34 17 Jan 2005

I am on a 1Mb ADSL Broadband connection.

Shaun

Jeffers22 17:46 17 Jan 2005

I use a Netgear WGR614 and have been more than pleased with it. No down time, wireless signal always good, easy to set up. 4 Ethernet ports (most have 4). I've had it since April last year so I think the model has been superceded.

TomJerry 18:18 17 Jan 2005

and get D-Link 54mbps DSL-G604T Wireless ADSL 4 Port Modem Router £71 click here

if your modem is ethernet D-Link DI-624+ 54Mbps AirPlusXtremeG+ Wireless Broadband Router £48.41 click here

georgemac 18:57 17 Jan 2005

I have a netgear dg834v2 - has been great for me

click here best bundle I can find at the moment - Dlink DSL-904 with free usb adapter - instructions and router software for set up is not brilliant but I managed to set it up for a mate and it is working great.

georgemac 18:59 17 Jan 2005

seems I have found the same and more for less? if you know what I mean!

shaunmasterson 15:37 18 Jan 2005

It is the D-Link DI-624 that is causing me problems. Would not touch D-Link again if they were giving them away, far too much trouble.

jaysue 17:08 18 Jan 2005

i just brought a 2.4 ghz wireless usb network adapter and still cant get on the net can some one plase tell me y i cant get on the net &if any wot else do i need to buy

TomJerry 20:51 18 Jan 2005

wireless usb adaptor only enable laptop to get the signal, but you need to get signal somewhere

you can get from a WiFi hotspot (many starbuck cafe and some railway station, not cheap)

or you need to set up a access point in your home

Heefie 09:08 20 Jan 2005

Why do you say "if your modem us usb, throw it away" ?

I have a USB ADSL modem and I have never had the slightest problem with it ...

I'm in a similar situation to shaunmasterson, having just uninstalled a Netgear DG834G router that has given me nothing but trouble !!!

So I, too, am looking for a wireless router that doesn't have an inbuilt modem ... anybody got any suggestions that don't include Netgear ?!?!?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017