Wireless router security settings.

Allan RISC OS user 15:11 16 Feb 2008

Help Please!

I have a SpeedTouch 585 v6 4 ports router supplied my my ISP. I had it working, but was not sure what security setting to have, so emailed my ISP but did not get any meaningful help, did same to the manufacturer but did not receive a reply and their web site did not help me either.

I have now removed the router (gone back to USB modem)for the above reasons and at one point when I switch on the router and booted the Pc I was unable to connect as my BB user password had been changed by persons unknown via a telephone call to my ISP. Again no one could advise who or why only when.

I do not have a wireless capability on my PC's so was using cables all of the time.

Do you think some one was able to get the password from the router and if so how would it have helped them?

Can you point me to the correct set up to ensure my connection etc. are secure.

Windows XP SP2

As an aid to assisting me I should point out that 2 of my neighbours use wireless routers, and they know of at least two other insecure set ups in the area.

Gongoozler 16:51 16 Feb 2008

I have just looked at the manual click here. In section 2.2.3 it tells you about the Security settings. Select WPA-PSK Encryption and follow the instructions. Section 2 on page 19 also tells you how you can change your router name.

Dipso 21:23 16 Feb 2008

If you do not intend to use the wireless you can disable it in the routers interface i.e. no further security risks.

Allan RISC OS user 10:25 17 Feb 2008

Thanks for the information, very helpful.

gazzaho 11:43 17 Feb 2008

In order of security WEP WPA or WPA2, I would use WPA2 if your router supports it. WEP should only be used if there is no other option as it is the easily broken, anyone with wireless should be using security as an outsider can at the very least piggyback the connection and use the broadband access for free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017