Wireless Router Recommendation

gurps300 19:12 25 Mar 2008

Hey guys,

At the moment i have one desktop PC, connected to the net via a webstar modem provided by my isp (virgin media). I bought a new laptop yesterday however i still need to buy a router.

I need a cable/dsl router. I need some advice on how i should setup up my wireless network, and i need to know whether i will be able to connect my wireless router straight to my current desktop PC.

At the moment i have been looking at a netgear wireless router shown below.

click here

The laptop comes with the intel® next-gen wireless-n mini-card. Does this mean i can only buy routers that are n? or can i buy routers which are a/b/g aswell?

The desktop pc i am using at the moment is primarily used for emailing,surfing,chatting , downloading and alot of gaming too..however the laptop will only be used for the first 4.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks

ambra4 07:38 26 Mar 2008

The Netgear WNR834B RangeMax Next Wireless CableDSL Router will work with all

wireless protocol “Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft)”

“How to set up the router to the cable modem”

Power everything off, including the Cable Modem, which must be left without power for 10 minutes

This is IMPORTANT so that it loses the association between the existing connection (recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address that it has allocated to it.

Connect an Ethernet Cable between the router's WAN Port and the Cable Modem's Ethernet Port.

Connect a second Ethernet Cable between the PC's network card port and Port 1 of the Router's LAN Ports

Power on the Cable Modem when fully booted with all lights displayed

Power on the Router when the router is fully up and running

Power on the computer and wait until it is fully booted up

The Cable Modem will recognise a new connection and allocate an IP address to it.

Now launch your web browser and type the Router's IP address access code, which you will find in the manual, into the browser address bar

This will open the configuration pages to set up the router and wireless networking.

Once the router set-up is completed and you have SAVE the setting log out and close browser

Reboot the Router by power it off and back on and wait 1-2 Min’s

You should see 5 green lights showing on Router

The 2 displays Icon should be in the task bar-Right Click-Status-Support

What you should see is the following:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address 192.186.1.XXX which is the Computer IP Address

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.X.X which is the router IP Address

If you click the Detail button you will see a lot more information the WINS Server is always blank

You should now be able to browse the Internet

If you have any blank spaces (Gateway, IP address etc) you need to recheck the Router Setup and Lan Card setting

Lan card and network setting

click here

All router have a reset button at the back of the router, which will reset the router back to the factory default setting if required

It is sometimes desirable to reboot the router by Power it off and back on by removing the power cable if you cannot access the Internet or find that access is very slow this will allow the router to refresh the setting from your ISP servers

gurps300 09:27 26 Mar 2008

is that router good enough for me to be playing online game on the dekstop and for someone else to be downloading on the laptop without drastically effecting the connection?

ambra4 10:32 26 Mar 2008

Do not play games on line it hard to say if downloading at the same time will drastically
effecting the connection?

gurps300 18:25 26 Mar 2008

Ok thanks for the reply, does anyone else have any advice on what cable/dsl router i should buy?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?