Wireless router recommendation,

Jimmy14 21:38 13 Oct 2006

I am thinking of buying a wireless router hopefully tomorrow and I am also hoping that some people on here will have some experiences of reliable ADSL Routers that they can recommend to me. I would prefer it to be a 108mb one but if you have one that is excellent and is 54 then I wouldn't mind. I am currently with tiscali 2mb Broadband but I am being upgraded this month to 8Mb. Try to keep the price as low as possible please.

Thanks, James

Strawballs 21:46 13 Oct 2006

click here
click here
click here
click here
Unless you are going to a lot of across network large file moving why do you want more than 54 meg when this will more than outstrip your soon to have 8meg connection.

Jimmy14 21:59 13 Oct 2006

thanks for your quick reply. Just to clarify this I have looked elsewhere and found the Netgear router you recommended from novatech on Amazon for cheaper so would you clarify for me its the same router and will work with my DSL connection, thanks?
click here

Strawballs 22:24 13 Oct 2006

Yep as long as you get your BB through a phone line and not cable that will be fine. I only give the link as an example it is up to you where you buy it.

Strawballs 22:26 13 Oct 2006

I said that because in your first post you said ADSL (which is what Tiscali is) and later you said DSL

Jimmy14 22:32 13 Oct 2006

thanks for your help I think I will just go with the netgear one from amazon. I will post back if I have any further questions or problems,

James

Danoh 23:56 13 Oct 2006

I would recommend you check out lab tests of different routers, available in certain magazines :-)

I have the Belkin pre-N MIMO (108mbps) and Linksys MIMO PCI adapters that have proved their review test results in real life operation, for range and reliable connections, as well as range of functions. QOS (Quality of Service) assurance for VOIP is also very helpful for internet telphony.
This is with full security and data traffic encryption (WPA) which puts an extra load on throughput and range.

As I have no legacy 802.11b kit, I set everything to operate just on 802.11g, as MIMO just uses pairs of 802.11g signals.

Although I'm on cable, the ADSL version is exactly the same beast with the ADSL circuitry included on the same circuit board.

In tests of MIMO routers, the Belkin was one which proved its ability to reach a decent range without too much drop in throughput. In my case, literally every corner of an older solid brick house. I've also found my laptop's standard 802.11g range and throughput to be improved.

Non-MIMO 802.11g has a theoretical max of 54mbps but in reality is around half of that, even right next to the router. Similarly MIMO does not actually reach 108mbps in reality (i.e. throughout a long transmission of several small files or a very large file.)

Jimmy14 23:59 13 Oct 2006

thanks for your help and reply. I will look into it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?