Wireless Router Queries

billffc 16:09 21 Jun 2007

I have a Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless G Router and have the following questions:

My wired PC is run through the Belkin setup for my son's laptop which is wireless.

a) Is my pc open to wireless fraud or is it only the laptop security that is at threat?

b) If the laptop is switched off, although still plugged in (as my pc will not get an internet connection with the laptop lead unplugged) is the radiation at wireless levels or just normal wired levels?

c) With all this fuss about wireless radiation levels, can I use my Belkin as a non-wireless modem and not a router?

Any help on the above would be gratefully received as my family have gone "radiation crazy" since the recent Panorama tv report.

Thanks

brundle 16:17 21 Jun 2007

Your PC and laptop are safe if you use WPA-PSK encryption and a good passphrase. Don't bother with WEP encryption.
click here

I don't believe a word of the radiation-scare stories myself, but can't prove it either way so I can't offer you any reassurance on that front.

You can switch off the wireless component of the Belkin.

Woolwell 16:40 21 Jun 2007

Slightly puzzled why you cannot get internet connection with the laptop lead unplugged. Which laptop lead is it and what is the model of the ADSL Modem/Router?

Otherwise agree with brundle.

Woolwell 17:07 21 Jun 2007

billffc replied by e-mail
"It is the Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless G Router F5D7632uk4A. I remove the ethernet cable from the rear of the router. The only other cable connected to it is the ADSL (and power of course)."

You stated earlier that you were wired to the router and that the laptop was wireless. If your PC is not wireless there should be a cable between it and the router. If the ethernet cable is the way the PC connects to the router and you remove it you will of course lose the internet connection. If the cable is connected to the laptop then it is probably not wirelssly connected. Personally on my Belkin router (not the same model as yours) I leave all cables connected and just switch off the power at the end of the day. Hope that this helps.

Woolwell 18:31 21 Jun 2007

From billffc:
Thanks. Of course you are right. The ethernet cable is connected to my pc but the laptop is wirelessly connected. Brundle said I could switch off the wireless component of the router. Do you know how to do this? If the laptop is unplugged, is my router still acting as a wireless machine? Sorry to be such a pain.

Firstly you are not being a pain this is what this forum is for. Secondly please reply using the post response method as others can see the question and jump in and provide better help than I can. For example I don't know how to turn off the wireless element of the router. Yes if the laptop is unplugged your modem/router is still broadcasting wirelessly.

ambra4 02:04 22 Jun 2007

access router and disable wireless

ambra4 02:19 22 Jun 2007

PDF manual for all belkin ADSL wireless router

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?