Wireless Router and Netbook

onthenose26 13:18 19 Jul 2010

Hi,

I considered asking this in the Networking Forum, but all the posts in there seemed to be from people who might actually know what they are talking about!

I want to get a wireless router for the broadband (Orange) for my desktop PC (which currently has an Orange external modem plugged in) and for a Netbook which I have yet to buy.

I don't want to do anything fancy or complicated, but just want to use broadband on both PC's around the house, however there are 1000's of wireless routers to choose from. Can anyone recommend one that is good value and easy to use/setup? I presume I plug the modem into the router and it then sends the signal to my PC and Netbook, but this might be a really stupid question!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

onthelimit 14:02 19 Jul 2010

If you get a modem/router, you can dispense with the need for a separate modem. There are dozens to choose from; I've had a Netgear 834G and Thompson Speedtouch. Both were very straigtforward to set up and reliable in use. Your PC is unlikely to a have a wireless card fitted (but check) - if it doesn't they are cheap as chips, as are plug-in dongles. Your new netbook will be wireless enabled.

Strawballs 02:01 20 Jul 2010

Why don't you phone Orange they will probably supply you with one free of charge and give you support as well.

morddwyd 19:49 20 Jul 2010

If you go for Orange Wireless Broadband they will supply you with a free router, the Livebox, but only on loan.

If you terminate your Orange contract you will have to return it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?