Wireless Router for laptop

DJ-Garry 20:45 26 Nov 2006

I am concidering getting an Acer laptop from ebuyer click here and it lists that it has a Wireless NIC Acer InviLink 802.11b/g. I do not have any wireless stuff at the moment, just a Telewest broadband modem runnig into onboard NIC card in my desktop XP Pro machine. Do I just need to get Wireless router such as this one click here for £27.26 from ebuyer? I don't think it comes with a dongle or pcmia card but the laptop has that built in i think????? If this will do the job, will it let the laptop access at the full 4Meg broadband speed I have and will the desktop still run at 4meg being plugged into the Built-in 4 ports Fast Ethernet switch: 10/100Mbps MDI/MDIX auto-sensing?
Thanks guys, Garry.

De Marcus™ 21:19 26 Nov 2006

If your on Telewest broadband you'll need a DSL router and not an ADSL router which is what you link to. Your laptop is wifi enabled, and yes both machines will achieve full speed independently of each other. If both machines are being used at the same time and one is downloading a large download then you may notice a drop in speed.

DJ-Garry 22:09 26 Nov 2006

Thanks De Marcus™. Would either of these routers be any good? If so, which is better? click here click here Cheers, Garry.

DJ-Garry 22:11 26 Nov 2006

Or is this one worth the extra money? click here G.

De Marcus™ 22:17 26 Nov 2006

The D-Link is worth the extra money, considering we're only talking a few pounds, but if money is especially tight, the Dynamode will do just as well.

Taff™ 22:35 26 Nov 2006

Also Posted in Helproom!

De Marcus™ - I think the original link was for a cable DSL connection: "One 10/100Mps WAN interface to connect with DSL or cable modem for broadband Internet access." but I agree with your recommendation regarding the D-Link.

De Marcus™ 22:40 26 Nov 2006

Now you mention it I'm a tad confused, the first link states that it can share an adsl and cable connection, yet it's under the 'ADSL / Broadband Modem / Routers' category.

Surely it can't be both.

mgmcc 08:58 27 Nov 2006

The description "Cable/DSL" is confusing, because this type of router can be used for both Cable and for DSL (of which ADSL and SDSL are variants) in conjunction with a separate ethernet modem. Cable broadband does *NOT* use DSL.

The problem is that this type of router supports PPPoE protocol, but not the PPPoA required for ADSL in the UK. Therefore, in the UK, it is generally necessary to use a combined Modem/Router which supports PPPoA. In the US, where their DSL uses PPPoE, a Cable/DSL router can easily be connected to a separate ethernet DSL modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?