Wireless Router Help (Newbie)

Widdy1961 14:40 28 Jan 2008

Hi

Firstly I am a complete novice when it comes to Routers etc, so I apologise if my question sounds stupid but.........

I have been offered a Micronet SP916GK wireless router and a Micronet SP907GK Wireless LAN USB Adapter and wondered if this would work with my current Modem which is a pci BB Modem (Alcatel Speedtouch)

I have a Compaq Presario PC which has Ethernet ports and I believe a LAN/WAN card fitted.

Got to sayy that it's all quite confusing but do I need anything else?

I was going to buy a USB Modem/Router but I hate USB modems after having lots of problems with them, plus the Micronet Router I can get for £5

Thanks
Widdy1961

ambra4 16:28 28 Jan 2008

Alcatel Speed Touch USB ADSL Modem is for a stand alone computer to connect to the Internet via your ISP it cannot be used with a wireless router

You have to purchase an ADSL broadband modem with an Ethernet port to use the Micronet SP916GK wireless router

Linksys ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem

click here

D-Link ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem

click here

Widdy1961 18:15 28 Jan 2008

Hi ambra4

Thanks for the info.

I have just ordered the D-Link Ethernet Modem, is this all I need to go wireless (including the router of course) and what is ADSL2+ ?

Sorry for sounding thick.

Widdy1961

ambra4 22:43 28 Jan 2008

Yes you only need the modem + router and you should be able to access the broadband

You will also have to set up the LAN card to access the router check this posting on the correct set up for the LAN card and the network

click here

What ADSL2+ does is basically double the capacity of ADSL so speeds of 24mb are available for downloading and a possible 3.5mb to upload with!

Again, like broadband already these speeds are dependent on the distance a user is from the exchange

Widdy1961 23:08 28 Jan 2008

ambra4

A million thanks for the help, looking forward to the modem arriving and hopefully will be up and running by the end of this week.

Maybe this will keep my 2 daughters happy, internet connections for them both........now where are my slippers.

Widdy1961

ambra4 02:43 29 Jan 2008

Connect the modem first and set up the access to you ISP and you can access the

Internet before you connect the router

Take a read of the modem and router manual first before connecting to the broadband

Just check the LAN card and the network connection on the computer that is connect to the modem is set up correct

click here

Once you can access the Internet via the modem and have access to you email and can

browse your web sites etc disconnect the cable from the pc LAN card and connect it to

the wan port on the router connect a second Ethernet cable from port 1 on the router to

the lan card on the computer power on the router wait until it is fully rebooted

Now launch your web browser and type the Router's IP address access code, which you

will find in the router manual, into the browser address bar

This will open the configuration pages to set up the router and wireless networking

ambra4 02:51 29 Jan 2008

Setting Up The Wireless System in the Router

Access the router and click the Wireless section in the router setting

You have to set-up the Wireless Network Name the SSID address on the router first

By default some wireless router come set-up with the manufacture name as the SSID

address 3Com, Linksys, Belkin etc,

You should change the SSID address to a name you want to give your Wireless Network,

452john06 / ezyclip01 etc which would allow you to easily identify your network

You should also change the Wireless Channel # the default is normally Channel 11 which

most persons uses so change it to 6 / 8 this will save you having interferences and low

signal quality from other network close by using channel 11

Save information as a text file using note pad on your desktop and copy to a flash drive

as the same SSID name and Channel # and Security Code must be used on All wireless

device when setting then up to access your wireless system

Do not set-up the security system on the router as yet

Save the setting and log out of router

Install USB wireless adapter on your daughters computer as per instruction that come with the wireless adapter

A wireless icon will appear in the task bar after the installation is completed

Double click on it and a display box will request the SSID name an the channel # copy

and paste the SSID name from the text doc that you save on the flash drive

Once you have enter the same information as on the router click the connect button you

should now be connected to the router vie the wireless device and able to browse the

Internet

If you get it wrong the router will not allow the wireless device to connect to the wireless

router or allow access to the Internet

Check out these sites before you set-up the wireless system could save you a lot of time and headache.

click here

click here

Once you have Internet access and all is working fine email, access web sites etc you

now have to set up the security code to make the wireless system secure

Setting Up The Wireless Security System

Check out these sites before you set-up the Wireless Security System

click here

click here

click here

ambra4 03:21 29 Jan 2008

Just some Important Note that will help

It is strongly recommended by All router suppliers that you use a physically connected cable to the Router via a Ethernet RJ45 cable for router setup.

Using a wireless connected computer for setup is Not recommended to access router setup at any time.

You can also check that the wireless adapter is Enable from inside the Network Connection Area

Start-Setting-Network Connection-Right click-Wireless Area Connection-Enable or Disable as required

Some times you have to Disable and Enable before the card will connect to the wireless system

The PC hard wire to the router does not have to be on for the wireless system to work

Once the router is on all wireless devices should have local and Internet access

With a hard wire system the LAN card connect speed at 100Mbps, the wireless system

connect speed at 1Mbps -54Mbps depending on the distance, amount and thickness of

walls, quality of signal etc

You cannot see the wireless system from a hard wire PC only the Local Area Network Connection

You should not have both the LAN and Wireless network on the same PC connect at the

same time. As this can causes conflict within the router

If laptop is losing connection walk around the house with the laptop and check the signal

quality and the connect speed

The normal connect speed on a laptop build in wireless card or USB adapter is 54Mbps

on older laptops with build in wireless cards the connect speed is 11Mbps

Hope all this information is not too much at one time, just take it slow and do one thing at

a time, Modem connected and you have Internet access, connect router and you can

access the internet, last setting up the wireless system and it will all work out fine

Rush the install and you can spend the next two weeks pulling out your hair and going grey very fast. lol

GroupFC 12:17 29 Jan 2008

Book marked!

Widdy1961 12:38 29 Jan 2008

Brilliant ambra4

I have the Modem up and running (came this morning not 18 hours from ordering)....pretty straightforward to work out except for one thing not mentioned........you have to leave your original modem connection whilst setting the D-Link as it's done online, apart from this no probs.

Just waiting for the delivery of my router now, then I can go through all your instructions and hopefully set up correctly first time.

Once again Many Many Thanks ambra4

Widdy1961

Widdy1961 17:56 30 Jan 2008

Problems ambra4

I followed the manuals instructions to the letter, connected everything up, logged into the setup site using the address in the manual, ran the setup wizard and checked the information you gave me...................NO internet connection, checked the Status of the Router on the status screen and it said PPoE Disconnected.

I reset the router and went through the setup again, making sure I did everything in order but still got the same, no conection to the internet.

Any Ideas.

Widdy1961

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017