Wireless Router Distance

hogan8 15:45 03 May 2009

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere before but could forum advise on wireless router distance capability of Netgear DG834GT please.

OTT_Buzzard 16:13 03 May 2009

Impossible to say. The range of any wireless device is purely dependant on the environment in which it is operating.

HXP 19:46 03 May 2009

I just moved my BELKIN router from one side of my desk in the spare room to under the desk away from all the cables, monitor and PC and signal in my furthest room has gone from v low to low with occasional bursts of good.

Connection doesn't drop at all so ........

I know its a Belkin but I think it is all about position in your house that affects distance it will reach.

Just an opinion.

Hugh

hogan8 23:16 03 May 2009

OK thanks, I have my router close to the main phone point and am trying to pick up a signal on the laptop 50 feet away without success. I will just keep moving things around.

OTT_Buzzard 14:50 04 May 2009

50 feet through a building is quite a distance for a router. If you can't get it closer to your PC, you may want to think about getting a repeater.

georgekareson 12:42 05 May 2009

Iv'e been needing to have a 3G wireless system with a wireless router setup in a rural location, similar to a large distance farm, or horse or cattle type land area where I need surveillance, espeicially 3G wireless cctv cameras, because bascially… I can't run 10 miles of cable through farm land, it's just impossible, but I do know that it's possible to get solar [url=click here]3G wireless cctv cameras[/url], because I've seen them on the roads, and they work.

But how and where on earth can I get a quote for such a cctv system? I've found one for these Hi-tech IP megapixel 3G wireless mobotix cctv cameras which is not too bad, not above £10,000 mark anyway. I've heard the giants of cctv sell these systems for thousands and thousands. But I've been in contact with one company that's offering a 3G wireless cctv hire for very reasonable pricing. But how can one tell what's the end product????

Appreciation...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone