Wireless Router with DHCP Reservation

jambolino 12:01 09 May 2010

Does anyone know of a wireless router that is currently available in the uk that has a DHCP reservation feature. I have an IP camera that I need to assign a permanent IP address in order to work correctly and would like to set up a router so that the same IP address is assigned to the device each time the device it is switched on.

I know this type of router is available , I just cannot see any for sale. My current router is a Linksys WRT54GS, I am told that this router does not support DHCP reservation and there seems no way in the router setup of doing this, however if anyone knows a way of setting up a permanent local static IP address on this router it would be interesting to know how.

Many Thanks

BurrWalnut 14:35 09 May 2010

You haven’t said which operating system you’re using, so I’ve guessed at XP. Create static IP address:

In a Run window (Windows key+R), type cmd /k ipconfig /all (note the three spaces) and press Enter. Make a note of IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Server(s), which have to be keyed in.

Wired device
Go to Control Panel > Switch to Classic View > Network Connections and right-click LAN > Properties > General Tab, scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and double-click it. In the General Tab you need to put a check mark in Use the following… and then enter the address details from ipconfig. At the bottom of the General Tab, click Advanced > WINS Tab and put a check mark in Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

Wireless device
Right-click the wireless icon in the Notification Area > Status > General Tab > Properties at the bottom, scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) as above.

ashdav 16:39 09 May 2010

Not sure you can do it that way.
From the original post I assumed the camera was plugged directly into the router (IP camera ?) so the network address is set by the router not the operating system.

jambolino
Netgear routers have this facility.

BurrWalnut 18:59 09 May 2010

I must say I was somewhat reluctant to reply as I didn’t know what an IP camera was. Eventually, I decided to post the usual method for setting static IP addresses.

BRYNIT 20:12 09 May 2010

As I no very little about the DHCP I did a little reading.

From what I have found in the user guide, your router does support DHCP. After a further search I found this web page click here I hope it helps.

Batch 22:37 09 May 2010

I have a 3com wireless router ( a few years old). By default it supports permanent resrvation of allocated IP addresses. Under DHCP Server Parameters one can set the "Lease Time" from anything from 1/2 hour to Forever. However, bwhatever setting is used is applied to all allocated IP addresses (i.e. you can't pick Forever for one device and One Day for the rest).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017