Wireless router coverage

jigz 15:05 23 Jan 2006

Hi,
My wireless router coverage is weakeked. It is placed upstairs. ON my laptop, I can access wireless upstairs but it does not work downstairs for some reason.

It used to work before fine. I have tried chaning the channels and changing the broadcast setting to default. Still dont work :( Could some1 help me plz

howard63 17:11 23 Jan 2006

you could try moving its position - up/down/shake it all about. Some times just a few inches can make all the difference.

woodchip 17:20 23 Jan 2006

This is all down to the Hardware you are using. I have 3Com Wireless Firewall Router Modem, and PCMCIA card. I was at My daughters boyfriend on Sat night and connected to next doors Belkin Wireless, I went to warn him about is Router not being Secure but he said to use it as He did not have a Download Cap, and did not need security.

PS it connected through about four walls across gardens. And HE WORKED FOR A BANK. So you know who to blame next time you info goes missing

Softstag 20:26 23 Jan 2006

It may be that your neigbour has a router running on the same channel, or something else is interfering. Try different channels to see if that helps.

jigz 20:46 23 Jan 2006

I have tried different channels. still the same!

woodchip 20:51 23 Jan 2006

Range depends on Aerials and receiver. Not channels

jigz 20:53 23 Jan 2006

Well, it used to work before fine, but one day, all of a sudden, it stopped and thats is. It works within around 10 feets.

Softstag 22:48 23 Jan 2006

Do you have a cordless phone nearby? These can interfere.

jigz 11:26 26 Jan 2006

No its very far. It used to work before, No changes occured. One day it stopped working all of a sudden.

Mikè 11:29 26 Jan 2006

"Range depends on Aerials and receiver. Not channels"

Not strictly true if there is interference on a particular channel, then the effective range may be reduced.

Biotech 11:33 26 Jan 2006

Your router is a radio transmitter, it is possible that the output has declined for some reason, has the antenna been moved or damaged.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?