Wireless router connection speed

Jeannie46 18:26 26 Jan 2007

Can anyone help. At present I am with NTL as my broadband provider. I want to change this and change to Sky or Utility Warehouse for my provider but have been told that cable broadband is faster and if I change my connection to the internet will be slower. My son who is connected to the internet via wireless and has a network adapter card plays games will this slow his connection down for games.

Any help would be much appreciated.

wjrt 19:17 26 Jan 2007

check out which speed ntl you have. 2 -4 -10 Mb
options
both sky and utility warehouse seem to use BT phoneline for connections check here
click here

scroll down and enter your phone number as required and see what speed BT offers .. check with your ntl speed and there's your answer

howard64 19:21 26 Jan 2007

if you are on the slower ntl speed give them a call and say you are thinking of leaving for a faster speed at a lower price and they will probably accomodate you to stop you leaving.

Jeannie46 22:02 26 Jan 2007

thanks for your advice. I am at present on 4MB speed with NTL but am looking at 8MB but have been told (by NTL) that because I will be using an asdl modem not a cable modem I will only get 1/2 MB speed not 8MB. Dont know if this is true or not.

Dipso 23:03 26 Jan 2007

For them to say that they would need to know your distance from the telephone exchange. I wouldn't think they would go to the trouble of finding that out...this is only an estimate but see what it says click here

woodchip 23:35 26 Jan 2007

cable is Faster and More reliable. It's servers that is a problem but you get that with all providers

Dipso 23:41 26 Jan 2007

4 Meg cable wouldn't be faster than a true 8 Meg connection through a decent provider though?

Jeannie46 21:20 27 Jan 2007

Does anybody know about Utility Warehouse? Are they a good ISP provider. What does anybody recommend? Thinking of Sky but they provide their own router, and I bought the Belkin router so my son could have good connectivity (via network adapter) as he is three floors up from the router.

Strawballs 21:27 27 Jan 2007

If you change to an ADSL provider then your cable router will be no good any way as you will need a modem/router.

Jeannie46 21:30 27 Jan 2007

Sorry for my ignorance, you mean that my router will be no good, even if new ISP provider supplies a modem.

Strawballs 21:33 27 Jan 2007

that is the case because cable routers will only work on a cable connection.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?