Wireless Router: Certification Issue

TheBaldOne 13:04 29 Oct 2006

Cable & Wireless Router

I have set-up a wireless network and successfully connected my laptop to it. The problem is if I secure the network using WPA the laptop can't connect. If I use the USB Stick method of allowinf the laptop access I get an error messages about not having the correct certification. I don't understand why the correct certificates would not be there?? Where do I go from here?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

mgmcc 16:23 29 Oct 2006

Does the Wireless Adapter you are using in the laptop support WPA? If so, are you using compatible types - WPA/WPA2, TKIP/AES etc?

TheBaldOne 16:57 29 Oct 2006

Without wishing to sound like a complete idiot how do I find out if the laptop supports WPA???

Thanks for the response!!

mgmcc 20:00 29 Oct 2006

Probably whether you are prompted to enter a WPA key when you try to "Connect" to the wireless network. If WPA is set up in the router, but you cannot enter the key into the adapter's software in order to connect that might indicate that it isn't supported. It is trial and error and, unless you are using Windows' own networking software, all adapters have different software.

Try using 128-bit WEP and see if that works. If that also fails, then the problem might lie elsewhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?