Wireless Router Buildin Modem, wireless swtich off

JerryJay 11:48 14 Mar 2004

I am searching for a wireless router with build in ADSL modem, 2 wired ports and a button eaily switch on/off wireless function.

The reason for this is the convenience. Most time I am use wired connection, so no point to have wireless function. I wonder if they any router which has a button easily swtich on/off wireless function. So I only swtich on wireless when I need it. I could do with a wired router with a wireless router, but I do not want to many stuff on my desk.

JerryJay 11:41 16 Mar 2004

Anyone know if this kind of product exist?

byfordr 12:06 16 Mar 2004

Netgear DG834G has four ports, intergrated modem, wireless and firewall. You can turn the wireless off via the software that is provided.
Very quick to set up. Take you about 10 seconds to turn the wireless on/off.

click here
click here

Its about £105 of your English nuggets.

HTH

R

JerryJay 12:13 16 Mar 2004

byfordr,

This could be an option. I just wonder if they can fit a button to turn on/off wireless function at will.

mgmcc 12:38 16 Mar 2004

<< I just wonder if they can fit a button to turn on/off wireless function at will >>

I use a 'wired' router with a "Wireless Access Point" plugged into one of its ports. I only power up the Wireless Access Point when I need a wireless network connection.

JerryJay 13:14 16 Mar 2004

mfmcc, I will go down this route as well, but it would be handy just one box for everything

byfordr 14:31 16 Mar 2004

Don't remember such a switch, will have to check my router when I get home! You could try the netgear website it may tell you. At the moment I hardwire my desktop into the router (leaving wireless turned off) then turn it on again to connect wireless enabled pcs when I need to. Literally a case of putting the netgear cd in, logging on and enabling/disabling as required. I'm other companies are similar...perhaps check Linksys, belkin or whoevers website.

R

byfordr 14:31 16 Mar 2004

Don't remember such a switch, will have to check my router when I get home! You could try the netgear website it may tell you. At the moment I hardwire my desktop into the router (leaving wireless turned off) then turn it on again to connect wireless enabled pcs when I need to. Literally a case of putting the netgear cd in, logging on and enabling/disabling as required. I'm other companies are similar...perhaps check Linksys, belkin or whoevers website. (if little else this will bounce you to the top, perhaps someone will know!)

R

SEASHANTY 15:17 16 Mar 2004

Linksys have a cable/dsl router with switch which is wireless ready also. i.e. It can take a wireless network connection because the router is fitted with a PCMCIA slot type II
click here
but this BEFSR41W router is made for connecting to a separate cable modem and does not have the internal ADSL modem you require.

byfordr 22:56 16 Mar 2004

DG834G Right has the following ports/inputs left to right on the back

Power
4 network ports
restore factory settings
telephone connection
wireless ariel (ASDL)

Front

power
test
internet
wireless
ports 1-4

No other switches/buttons everything is controlled through the software resource cd

R

JerryJay 23:03 16 Mar 2004

I just use one Wired Router (modem build in) with a wireless router. Thanks for all info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017