Wireless router on all the time

fly 12:03 10 Dec 2008

I get the sporadic interruption as described by others. I was advised to leave the router on all the time. But I can re-install my connection by switching it off for a short time.

In other words, should I leave the route plugged in to the power strip, so it switches of with the computer, or find another socket on its own and leave it on all the time?

Rahere 12:10 10 Dec 2008

If you have no major problems reconnecting then I'd advise you turn it off both for security and power usage reasons.

This is simply my opinion but I know others prefer to leave their routers on permanently, no doubt they will explain the benefits but I don't think wireless security and unnecessary power usage can be dismissed lightly.

jhm 12:19 10 Dec 2008

I have a DLInk router and for the last few months have switched it off when not in use. Takes a minute or 2 to reboot and make broadband connection and have had no problems. As to what savings in electricity I have made I do not know.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:30 10 Dec 2008

BB speed increases over a period of time.

If you want a faster connection leave on.

If you want to be "green" and secure switch off.

Rahere 12:34 10 Dec 2008

Apologies for the digression but I know this is true when the line is setup for the first time but can it increase after that too?

Technotiger 12:55 10 Dec 2008

I leave my router on Permanently, after taking advice from a friend who had his own PC shop specializing in Router's and everything to do with them, and getting on-line. He also ran his own larger Server at his shop.

Pine Man 13:05 10 Dec 2008

I have tried it both ways and it makes not the slightest bit of difference to speed at all.

I have asked Thomson, who make routers, and they told me it makes no difference to speed if you leave it switched on but I still tried for myself.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:27 10 Dec 2008

If I power off my router my line speed drops and slowly picks back up over the next 4 or 5 days.

Rahere 13:28 10 Dec 2008

Your choice Technotiger

Hopefully the guy who used to own a shop advised you of the wireless security issues too: You've set WPA encryption, renamed SSID defaults and disabled your SSID broadcast, use MAC address filtering, disabled dchp, and have a secure connection such as a vpn connection?

Unfortunately all but the last probably won't help protect you much against a determined attacker with all the time in the world to attack your wireless network because your router/transceiver is live 24 hours a day.

I'm starting a network engineering course in the next month so I've been doing my pre course reading and beyond encrypted end to end vpn connections wireless is a risky business. Personally I'd never use a wireless network to pay for anything including my banking even with wireless and SSL page encryption

Technotiger 15:03 10 Dec 2008

Hi, been using it like this for years, and yes I do have proper protection, and have never had any problems whatsoever with anyone trying to 'attack' my system - even virus/malware is almost non-existant in all the years I have been on-line, and I am on-line every day from morning till night, being retired!!

realist 15:17 10 Dec 2008

Wouldn't your "determined attacker" need to be located within a radius of around 1,000ft to be in wireless range, or am I misunderstanding the risk?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?