wireless router advice (cable broadband)

jimmybond 12:27 26 Nov 2007

A friend has asked for help in getting them wireless enabled. They currently have broadband, but it's cable (NTL).
I have only ever setup wireless broadband of the BT phone line variety - can anyone advise if cable is just as easy/what is the best router to buy/is this ok?
click here

Thanks!

Wrinkles 12:57 26 Nov 2007

In my experience which is somewhat limited to 3 or 4 cable installations, including my own It is easier than BT. The one I did last week I did in minutes. Sorry can't remember the make of the wireless router but it was a cheap new one bought on Ebay.
Step 1, install the router software on the PC and, using a cat5 cable connection, set the appropriate parameters in the router, SSID security requirements etc. Switch everything OFF, remove the Cat5 cable, connect modem to router and boot in sequence, 1st Cable Modem, once all lights are steady, boot router, wait 30 seconds and boot PC. Once PC up and running fire up the wireless connection and once SSID is found click connect, enter the key, if you have set one up and Robert is you mothers Brother. It really can be a simple as that. However it is not always the case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?