Wireless Router

coolteentom 16:57 30 Jul 2006

Hi,

I have a PC which I want to connect to cable modem via router, aswell as a laptop which I want to connect via Wi-fi.

I will only really use the network for a 1mb internet connection and not for any high speed file transfers betweenthe computers, and my laptop is 802.11b Wi-Fi compliant.

Am I right in thinking that a wireless "G" router will just be a waste, as my laptop can only handle up to the "B" spec? If so, then I presume my best option, on a tight budget, is to look around for a Wireless-B router which also has ethernet cable capabilities from somewhere like ebay?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

FelixTCat 17:16 30 Jul 2006

coolteentom,

In theory you are correct. However, you may find it difficult to get a 2.11b only router.

Also, routers of that age may not have the capabilities of newer routers, particularly in terms of wireless security.

By all means look, but be careful of specification.

It does seem like a false economy when you would only save at best 2 month's bb subscription.

Regards,

Felix

coolteentom 02:31 31 Jul 2006

Hi Felix,

The point of the b-type router having potentially less capabilities was something I had not thought of, and having looked further into it, it appears that they are often less reliable aswell.

Unless I find a particularly good 2.11b router, I will probably now get one of the newer ones.

Thanks for the help,
Tom

coolteentom 03:52 31 Jul 2006

I have been looking to buy a "DG834G 802.11g Wireless Router".

One of the systems that I wish to connect to this is an Apple iBook G4. I am not used to working with macs, and was just wondering if anyone knows what kind of network adapter, if any, I need to buy to work with this router.

Regards,
Tom

Dubai Lion 09:14 31 Jul 2006

I live in an old style house with very thick walls & had problems. Tried Belkin but it couldn't cope with the walls - Linksys router solved this. Hence I have a brand new Belkin 125 GBPS super speed router & a Access Point (distance booster) for sale at half price. This may help your budget. All the packaging, discs, gaurantees are available. Just a thought. If you or anyone else is interested you can e-mail me at: [email protected]. Good luck anyway!

Fingees 09:41 31 Jul 2006

Dubai Lion

Just a point.
You should never publish your Email address on this forum.
It is asking for all sorts of malware etc, to be sent to you..
If the yellow envelope is clicked, they should be able to send an Email to you without it being published for all to see.
All the best.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?