Wireless Router

Newuser1936 22:54 22 Oct 2003

I've read the reply on wieless network and followed a link to honenetworking - but what Router to go for? Anybody any help - I want to network a new laptop with built in wireless and this old P3, windows 98 machine

Cheers Paul

Ironman556 23:07 22 Oct 2003

I have a similar problem... I'll keep an eye on your post, and you might like to keep an eye on mine click here no responses yet, but chances are responses to both threads are going to be useful.

Don't know if you've had a look click here (you may have posted it to another of my threads) but if not there's a whole section on them.

Good luck

byfordr 08:17 23 Oct 2003

Ironman556

I use a netgear 824m. With it you've got the option of either connecting wirelessly or using wires. One of my friend uses it with a evesham computer with a amd processor and I believe a asus motherboard. He's not had any problems.

Theres a review on click here

also info on:-

click here

for review

click here

for upgrading firmware on 824m

There is a firewall but you can set up port forwarding.

click here

If you can hang around this netgear beastie is the one I'd go for

click here type netgear in search, its the story from Thursday 2nd October 2003

also

click here=

Double firewall, excellent range etc. Looks the mutts nutts.

Also upgrade the firmware if you do go for the 824m. A couple of niggly little bugs are sorted out. The 3rd link has a handy guide. Very easy as long as you upgrade in order.

Newuser1936

What wireless standard does you card support?

HTH

R

byfordr 08:18 23 Oct 2003

Newuser1936

What wireless standard does you laptop wireless card support?

HTH

R

hellred 08:31 23 Oct 2003

I have a Alcatel 570 Router+Broadband Modem+Router and it works. Take a look at DSL Source Website. The card you have supports 802.11B Standard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017