Wireless range solution?

handful 18:28 01 Oct 2006

I have just moved to a larger house and have sited my Dlink DSL G604T router in the only place that I have a phone and electric socket together. I have 2 pc's and a laptop connected and I am struggling to get a signal to the 2 pc's. I know I could extend the phone line if I have to, to a more central location but would prefer to boost the signal if it can be done without costing a fortune to avoid having to hide extensions. One pc has a pci network adaptor and the other has a Dlink DWL122 usb adaptor. Sometimes one seems to pick the signal seems to pick up better than the other and at other times the reverse happens. Would a more powerful antenna help and if so, could anyone suggest one? Would I need to buy 2, one for the pci card and one for the router or would it be a waste due to not being able to fit anything to improve the dongle's signal? Or is there another way of boosting the signal? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

QuizMan 18:35 01 Oct 2006

This might help.
click here

ade.h 18:36 01 Oct 2006
  QuizMan 18:38 01 Oct 2006

Oh, forgot to say that attaching this to the router should be sufficient. It works for me.

handful 18:44 01 Oct 2006

Thanks for the suggestions. QuizMan, have you tried his antenna or did you not need to. I have no problem with spending a reasonable amount if it will work but I hate the expense of trial and error!! ade.h, thanks for the link, a last resort but worthwhile tip, thanks.

ade.h 19:28 01 Oct 2006

A last resort? I wouldn't say so.

handful 19:42 01 Oct 2006

Sorry ade.h, I don't mean in terms of a suitable and effective solution, more the £50-60 quid which is more than I wanted to pay if I don't have to. I would rather pay around £15 for a new antenna if it works. I do appreciate the suggestion though :O)

ade.h 19:45 01 Oct 2006

No, I figured that you were referring to the cost. But it is a very good solution that I have used occasionally on other people's networks.

QuizMan 19:50 01 Oct 2006

I opted for the one form Maplins as it was recommended in a previous thread. I just screwed it in and my connection speeds went from 11Mpbs to 54Mpbs.

QuizMan 19:50 01 Oct 2006

form=from, of course

handful 20:11 01 Oct 2006

QuizMan, sounds good to me, just purchased one online. I will update this thread with my results when I get it. Thanks again. Ade.h, I will keep your solution 'up my sleeve', cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone