wireless range extender and ethernet query

pookie 18:26 18 Apr 2014

Hi,

I have Windows 7 using BT Infinity.

I use the Openreach modem but my own Netgear wireless router (dual band). I am thinking of using the Home Hub 3 (single 2.4 band)BT provided as a wireless range extender upstairs and also the ethernet ports on the HH3 to connect to my pc to provide wired internet connection. I'll connect the Netgear to a homeplug by ethernet downstairs and connect a homeplug to the HH3 by ethernet upstairs. The homeplugs are a pair of 500Mbs speed and they do work ok.

Some questions.

1) the Netgear has 4 free ethernet ports so I take it I can just plug the ethernet cable into anyone to connect to the homeplug 2) upstairs from homeplug to HH3 I take it I plug the ethernet cable into any of the ethernet slots in the HH3 but not into the Infinity slot 3) forgetting using the HH3 for wireless by doing the above can I then connect the HH3 to my pc using ethernet cable so the pc is wired connected to the internet. If so can I just plug the ethernet into any of the slots in the HH3 but not the Infinity slot 4) how do I get the HH3 to act as a wifi range extender? a) do I set the SSID and password on the HH3 to exactly the same as the Netgear or should the SSID and password be different to the Netgear b) the Netgear is one 'auto' for channel. Do I set it to say '1' and then the HH3 to the same channel or to a different channel c) do I need to change anything in the HH3 or Netgear settings so the Netgear works as normal wirelessly (as if not connected to homeplug at all) so that the HH3 extends the wifi range of the Netgear upstairs 5) anything else

Thank you

onthelimit1 18:58 18 Apr 2014

It can be done if you can change the settings within the Homehub. Some info here.

pookie 23:09 19 Apr 2014

Thank you. That reads great. I'll try it tomorrow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?