Wireless range

sneakerman 19:43 02 Feb 2009

At least I think it is wireless range!

I have a USRobotics ADSL router (wireless G) and it has worked almost flawlessly snce I got it, in a wired setup. It is located in a spare bedroom at the front of the house. I have just got a netbook and when in the kitchen canot get a signal, it fades away just as I enter the kitchen. I have been trying to think of a way to extend the range and decided on a 10metre extension antenna cable.

Guess what - it doesn't work!

If I am in the bedroom I can still see the router (with no antenna) but in the kitchen right beside the antenna, no signal. I can see neighbouring wireless network but not my own.

What am I doing wrong? I didn't expect it to be perfect, I did think there would be some loss along the cable but the netbook is inches from the antenna!

Strawballs 09:51 03 Feb 2009

If you can put up with a cable that long running through the house why not make it a network cable and connect direct when in the kitchen.

My Linksys wrt54g is in a downstairs room at the back of the house and I can access it from an upstairs room at the back in the house over the road.

sneakerman 10:08 03 Feb 2009

I know what you are saying but I still want to be wireless, there are several areas/rooms downstairs that do not see the router upstairs, I thought this extension cable would 'extend' the wireless range throughout the downstairs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?