Wireless Problems with IBM Thinkpad X40

nastashaosborne 08:59 09 Aug 2006

I have an IBM Wireless X40. I have been using a Belkin wireless card to get wireless signal and to connect to a wireless network but the connection is usually very unreliable.

My friend suggested that maybe my laptop actually has wireless built into it, and that I am therefore creating a conflict by trying to use my Belkin card and using Belkin to connect to a wireless network.

Can anyone give advice on how i should use wireless with my laptop?

Thanks!

mgmcc 11:30 09 Aug 2006

If the laptop has a wireless adapter built in and you plug a second adapter in, the Network Connections folder should show two "Wireless Network Connections". Device Manager should also display details of two separate wireless adapters. Having two installed shouldn't actually cause a conflict and you can always right click one and select "Disable".

Changing the channel number used by your wireless network might improve stability - the default is normally "11", try changing to 8 or 6 in the router's settings to see if that improves stability. Also ensure that you don't have cordless or mobile phones located close to either the router or the laptop, as these can interfere with the radio signal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?