Wireless problems

Bike-it 21:25 29 Sep 2009

I have three laptops connected to a wireless router but this past few nights it will not let any of them connect via the wireless option, but it works fine during the day.
It also connects if you disable the wireless option on your laptop and connect to the router using an Ethernet cable.
Any ideas what might be causing this.
My isp claim that something in the house or in a neighbours house is causing interference with the wireless setup.

ArrGee 21:28 29 Sep 2009

Your ISP could be right. But did they provide any solutions, such as changing the channel?

Technotiger 21:29 29 Sep 2009

What was suggested (neighbours) is a possibility, do any of them have CB or HAM radio for instance? These can cause interference, especially is the user is using illegal Power boosters.

Or perhaps the Router might simply need re-setting.

Bike-it 21:57 29 Sep 2009

My ISP never provided any solutions,
? as far as i know none of my neighbours have a cb or ham radio.
How do i reset the router, will this return it to a new state, wiping all my information that is stored on it?

Technotiger 22:03 29 Sep 2009

Re-setting will not 'lose' anything - simply disconnect the Routers Power, wait 10-15 seconds and then re-connect Power. Then give it a couple of minutes to settle down again.

Technotiger 22:05 29 Sep 2009

CB/HAM was just an example, others things can cause interference, like fridges/freezers/factory or supermarket electrics among other things.

If you can, try changing the Channel on the Router.

Technotiger 22:06 29 Sep 2009

Could even be a neighbours Wireless Router!

Bike-it 22:12 29 Sep 2009

IF i go into the router setings and choose wireless settings channel 6 is selected what would happen if i was to choose another channel, btw it is a netgear router

Technotiger 22:17 29 Sep 2009

What would happen? Just try it, not gonna blow up!
I don't know why, but Channel 11 comes to mind for no particular reason!

You can always re-set to the original channel.

woodchip 23:52 29 Sep 2009

Also try one of the laptops near to the router see how far from Router it will work

ajm 00:49 30 Sep 2009

I would suggest what Technotiger has advised : If you can, try changing the Channel on the Router.

I had a similar problem in a client's office and after tryng various things like updating the router firmware, downloading the latest drivers for the wireless adaptors, I decided to change the channel from the default 11 to 7 and hey, presto, the connection has been stable and perfect fro the last three weeks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?