Wireless Problems

Edward-207256 14:55 12 Sep 2007

I am running a Dell Inspiron 9200 with an N1 Mimo wireless modem router. The internet is connected on the wired computer. On the desktop downstairs, i have installed a Belkin Wireless G Network Desktop Card. I have tried everything possible to connect the downstairs desktop to the wireless network, but with no success. I have been given instructions by Belkin, but they couldn't resolve it. The downstairs desktop doesn't even find the N1 mimo, anybody got any ideas? Its only a mere 7 metres, if that, and this 'mimo' can apparently reach 425 metres.

Any help would be appreciated.

Eddy

Edward-207256 14:56 12 Sep 2007

Edit - Windows Media Centre is the operating system.

fitshase 15:59 12 Sep 2007

Have you tried to connect to it with both computers side by side?

This will eliminate a problem with the wireless side of things (either the router or the card).

The range of 425m is a maximum range in ideal conditions with clear line of sight. It is also normally only achievable using the associated receiver to the router (I have a Netgear Rangemax MIMO router and I can only get the maximum range using a Netgear Rangemax USB adaptor - i.e., not a standard card).

If you are trying to get the signal 7 metres down through 2 floors (with pipes under floors) then you may struggle. Try to re-position the router to see if it makes any difference but first make sure to try the computers side by side with the router.

diesel1948 16:02 12 Sep 2007

thanks for your reply,
i had an earlier version of a belkin router installed before, and that managed to pick up the computer downstairs, so i have no idea why this isn't doing the same.

I checked the card, in device manager, and it said it was working. The card also finds a neighbours wireless network, but not mine.

Any ideas?

Edward-207256 16:53 12 Sep 2007

sorry. Diesel1948 is my fathers account btw.

I have solved the problem, by switching the wireless mode from "802.11g, 802.11b and 802.11n" to 802.11g only.

Now its running.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?