Wireless problem - at my wits end!

j1j1 21:26 29 Nov 2008

Hi everyone, hope someone can help me with this!

We got a BT home hub the other day, however my laptop won't stay connected to the web for more than a few seconds. It just says 'a programme has caused the connection to close' (or near as dammit). The connections are apparently fine.
I can only connect by using the ethernet cable but as I said it boots me every few seconds.

The firewall is disabled, I'm on Vista.
The BT booklet advises me to check menu items that don't exist on my computer! It's doing my head in!!

Any ideas?

mgmcc 21:35 29 Nov 2008

Just a thought but if you were previously connecting the Laptop to the internet with a USB ADSL Modem, have you uninstalled the software for that connection? USB Modem software can cause conflicts when changing to a router.

j1j1 23:17 29 Nov 2008

I tried connecting via a T-Mobile dongle a while back, which was the first connection I'd tried, I got exactly the same problems with the internet then.
Yes I did delete the T-Mobile thing.

Do you think it'd make a difference with AOL stuff on the PC, as it was on there when I bought it?

Horza Bora 23:43 29 Nov 2008

I was wondering if you were using the intergrated wi fi on the laptops motherboard or if you have tried with a USB wi fi connection?

j1j1 12:29 30 Nov 2008

Hiya,
I've tried with the USB dongle but the BT router is wireless so just tried wireless connection and the ethernet cable, which is the only way I can get a connection in the first instance. I'm not too au fait with this new fangled technology, lol!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:40 30 Nov 2008

In device manager - click the wireless adaptor -properties - power management - untick "Allow the computer to switch off..."

^wave^ 12:58 30 Nov 2008

maybe the winsock needs resetting what os

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?