wireless problem with laptop

Lord_Monkfish 15:41 30 Nov 2007

I have a wireless network running at home and both my PC and laptop can connect to it successfully. However whereas on my PC I experience no problems, on my laptop I do, such as:

Can't update certain security software (while others can),
Some websites don't work properly (while others do)

Because I don't experience these problems on my PC I don't think the problem lies with the wireless connection itself.

Any suggestions?

Ashrich 18:06 30 Nov 2007

What operating system is the laptop running , and is it the same one as the PC ?

Ashley

Lord_Monkfish 10:53 01 Dec 2007

The laptop is running XP SP2 and the PC is running Vista Home Premium, although I seem to remember when I was running my PC with both XP Media Centre and Vista installed, there was no internet problems when using XP on the PC.

Lord_Monkfish 10:56 01 Dec 2007

Another thing I should have mentioned at the start is that when I plug my laptop straight into the modem (by-passing the wireless router) I experience no problems what so ever! Perhaps a dedicated wireless modem router would resolve the issue?

Ashrich 19:15 01 Dec 2007

I think the first thing I would do is to update the drivers for the wireless card in the Vista laptop , that's the obvious weak link , if it can do everything when it is wired , or maybe do a search for this problem on Google ( if you haven't already ) as it could be a firmware problem with the router .

Ashley

Ashrich 19:16 01 Dec 2007

Is your wireless connection , when on your home network , set to " private " , that would make a difference .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?