wireless problem

willyv 18:53 02 Jan 2010

hi there
i am trying to set up a wireless network for a friend. He has a dell dimension desktop with virgin connetion. The supplied virgin netgear router and motorolla modem seem fine. i bought a Sitecom usb adapter (300n) and the wireless connection seems intermittent. I have tried with no firewall, tried to establish the network using oth virgin and windows software with no success. The wireless connection switches from excellent signal to none and its driing me mad. Any help gladly recieved. Thanks

mgmcc 20:32 02 Jan 2010

Try changing the Channel number in the router's wireless settings, in case interference is causing the intermittent connections.

The default Channel numbers used in most routers are either "6" or "11" so try one of these or, if already on one of these, try the other.

willyv 20:39 02 Jan 2010

when i say intermittent i cant actually open the homepage- the connection symbol in the task bar just flicks between excellent and no connection- could this still be the prob?

mgmcc 12:15 03 Jan 2010

It's worth trying a different channel number but, when changing the setting in the router, make sure you're connected to it by ethernet cable *NOT* wirelessly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?