Wireless problem

steve263000 15:33 14 Sep 2008

Hi, I have a Wi-Fi set up to my computer and this is for my sons bedroom where he has his games machine. No problem and it works well.

However I now need to move the main computer upstairs. Would I be able to make this one wireless and how do I do it. It may be simple to you, but I have always used this downstairs.

I have a Virgin cable modem with an SMC netwoks BarricadeN Wi-Fi network.

Thanks in advance

mgmcc 21:30 14 Sep 2008

You need to install a "Wireless Network Adapter" (PCI or USB) in your main computer and then you will be able to connect "wirelessly" to your existing network.

steve263000 10:01 15 Sep 2008

Thanks for the answer mgmcc and sorry for sounding thick, but how do I set it up? I assume that the modem and wi-fi stay downstairs but where do I put the broadband cable? Be polite please!

ambra4 12:47 15 Sep 2008

“but where do I put the broadband cable”

There is no broadband cable with a USB wireless adapter, load the driver from the cd and than

connect the wireless adapter to a USB port on the computer, scan for available wireless networks

select the network SSID name that your system is set for and click connect, a pop up display will

request the security code if you have a secure system, you have to enter the same code that you

entered in the wireless router

Sample of difference type of USB wireless adapters

Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with Range Booster

click here

Linksys Wireless-G 54Mbps Compact USB Adapter

click here

Linksys Wireless-N USB Adapter

click here

steve263000 09:51 16 Sep 2008

Thanks very much and I will give this a go soon. The links are very useful as well

steve263000 14:26 17 Sep 2008

I am going to sound completely thick here but I`still cannot get my head around this wireless problem. I have ordered the adapter and that should be hear any day.

My question is this. I have the cable that comes from virgin and goes into the back of their modem. Then a cable comes from the SMC networks to the modem. There is also a cable that comes from the SMC networks to the computer.

When the computer is moved what happens to that one? I am not usually this thick but I just cannot get my head into this.

ambra4 said there is no need for a broadband cable but surely the cable must go somewhere or I would not get the web?

I really sound like a complete idiot, but this has got to be sorted out in the next day or so.

ambra4 15:12 17 Sep 2008

The cable that goes to the computer from the router just unplug, there is no need to use that cable again unless you8 want to plug in a other computer via a lan card

dawood 15:30 17 Sep 2008

There is no cable connection between your computer upstairs and SMC wireless router, because they will be connected wirelessly.. Take a look on this wireless network setup tutorial click here to get better ideas..

ambra4 15:54 17 Sep 2008

Just think about wireless as hard wire with out the cable just like a wireless phone or your mobile phone

steve263000 17:22 17 Sep 2008

At last I seem to have got my head around it. Thank you all for your patience

ambra4 19:32 17 Sep 2008

Glad to be of help

Tick the box and click resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?