Wireless problem

concretepigsy 21:25 10 Nov 2007

I have a laptop that connects hard wired through a belkin wireless router, and that workd fine.

I have bought another laptop to use wireless, but it doesnt work on my router, but works fine on my neichbour's router wirelessly.

the new laptop doesnt work hardwired to my router either.

any ideas please

kjrider 21:51 10 Nov 2007

Check that IE is configured for network and is not set on dial-up.

jordsbabe 22:00 10 Nov 2007

Hi there i've been trying my hardest to set my mother in laws netgear up! I get as far as set up 2 then it just stops!!!! when i put the disc in i do get a message saying MDM_util.exe is not working, i don't know if that is relevant.

Kate

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:06 10 Nov 2007

1. start your own thread do not hijack someones elses thread.

2. reinstall the modem drivers.

jordsbabe 22:26 10 Nov 2007

Firstly sorry for Hijacking, i am very new to this forum stuff and feel upset with the bluntness

Secondly thankyou very much for your help it is honestly appreciated and i will try reinstalling the modem drivers

Technotiger 22:49 10 Nov 2007

Hi, you surprise me - not like you to be so blunt with a newbie - as you well know, we all welcome the newbies to the forum. Sticking my nose in here perhaps, but I reckon you owe jordsbabe an apology for your bluntness.

jordsbabe 'broke' the rules, but she is not the first by a long way, and certainly won't be the last.

cream. 23:06 10 Nov 2007

It's very difficult to get the feel of a new forum, so don't be upset. We wont bark at you, well not all the time:-)

perhaps you could have a quick gander through these click here. I might give you a bit of insight into the forums.

If Fruit Bat /\0/\'s answer to your problem does not fix it. Come back and start a new thread on your problem. You can start one by going to the bottom of the helproom page or use the start a new subject tab at the top of the helproom forum.

here's a tip to help. If you do start your own thread, untick the box that gives you email notification. Otherwise you will get a separate email for everytime someone responds to your query.

Technotiger 23:21 10 Nov 2007

Rather puzzled by your problem, mainly by the fact that it works on your neighbours, but not on your own. I guess you have already run the network wizard on your main pc and on the second laptop?

If you don't get any satisfaction here, perhaps you could try in the Networking forum.

rdave13 23:25 10 Nov 2007

Is your Belkin modem/router set up to wireless? It seems you can connect through an ethernet connection and maybe it needs to be configured to wi-fi.

jordsbabe 08:10 11 Nov 2007

Thank you i will ensure i go back and read the tips!

ambra4 08:28 11 Nov 2007

concretepigsy

What OS on new laptop XP or Vista??

If you using Windows Vista take a read on how to set up the wireless network

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?