wireless proble,

Sparky3327 11:07 17 Apr 2010

i have changed my router from netgear to an orange one following changing my broadband to orange home max.

I can get everything to work (laptop, x box ps 3) but my pc will not connect

on the view wireless connection 8 box it comes up with the following message

windows cannot configure this wireless connection
if u have enabled another programe to manage the wireless connection us ethat software

if you want windows to configure this wireles connection start the wireless zero configuration article 871122.

I have looked at this but still no joy. I am on XP (sp3) and the receiver is a netgearWN111v2

lister_infiji 11:39 17 Apr 2010

Well as nobody is answering my own question I thought I'd take a moment to answer yours.

Most likely thing is exactly what it implies, that you have third party software installed to manage wireless connections.

Yeah looking at this link:

click here

Step one says 'follow steps of the Netgear Smart Wizard,' which implies this software would have installed with your wireless dongles drivers and has taken over wireless control from Windows.

You want to locate this software (likely in your system tray or on the start menu) and open it. Either manage your wireless connections from here, or alternatively (and this would be my choice) tell the software to allow Windows to manage wireless connections instead.

Doing the latter will likely enabled the Wireless Zero Configuration automatically. However, you can very this by doing the following:

1.) Click the start button
2.) Click on 'run' in the start menu
3.) In the box which appears, type 'services.msc' and hit enter.
4.) In the services window, scroll to the bottom and locate 'Wireless Zero Configuration.'
5.) The status of this service should read 'started.'
6.) If the status field is empty, right click on 'Wireless Zero Configuration' and select 'start' from the menu, which will start the service. This will likely not work if you have not disabled the Netgear softwares control over your wireless, though.

onthelimit 13:42 17 Apr 2010

A friend had this problem recently - turned out there were 3 third party controllers. In the end, uninstalled all and the driver for the adaptor, restarted windows, found 'new hardware', it loaded it's own driver and has worked perfectly ever since.

Sparky3327 16:12 17 Apr 2010

lister - we did all that but to no avail
onthelimit - we did that too but Windows just demanded the CD or internet access to help install and as I can't get onto the net we had to use the disc so we were back to square one.
the pc communicates ok with the wireless modem but just won't allow internet access.
Painful.

rdave13 16:22 17 Apr 2010

Have a read of this thread with similar problem, especially post No 7; click here

Orange Response 15:21 19 Apr 2010

Hi grezza,

I work for Orange so if you need any help please drop me a mail at customer.services@orange.co.uk, including your landline number/broadband account number and best contact number.

So I can pick up your mail quickly, please add 'Jonathan Orange Response' in the first line.

Hope this helps

Jonathan
Orange Response Team

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017