Wireless Printing via Router

User-ACBC7C83-654F-4788-89A1BB849BE1A1D4 17:36 20 Jul 2008

I have a Solwise ADSL-SAR-600EW Router which I use to connect wirelessly to the Internet. I have just bought a Lexmark X4580 wireless printer. I've installed the printer as per the instructions. No problem, I can print wirelessly. BUT, I get diconnected from the internet. All the lights on the router are on as normal. I even tried connecting using an ethernet cable, but with no luck. Turning off the printer and rebooting the router sort the problem. However, I'd like to be able to do both. Do I need to but a dedicated printer router or is there something cheaper and easier that I'm missing.

ambra4 18:11 20 Jul 2008

“However, I'd like to be able to do both”

You need a Wireless-G 54Mbps Print Server

The Linksys Wireless-G Print Server lets you connect a USB printer directly to your network,

eliminating the need to dedicate a PC to print sharing chores.

You can connect the Print Server directly to your network by 10/100 Ethernet cable or

Wireless over the 54Mbps Wireless-G (802.11g).

click here

DJ Techz 18:54 20 Jul 2008

i dont know if havent read it correctly but it is a WIRELESS printer. Do you need to 'give' the printer an IP Adress

ambra4 20:28 20 Jul 2008

“I'd like to be able to do both” Ethernet Network and Wireless Printing

To connect the Wireless/USB printer to the Ethernet network you need a printer server

To connect the Wireless printer to a Wireless device you need a Wireless card or Adapter on the

device that you want to print from; this will allow you to print Wireless ONLY

If you want to print from the hard wire network and the wireless device at the same time you need a

Wireless router printer server which will give you both options to print via a pc connected to the

hard wire network and a wireless device

Take a read of the manual it will tell you how to connect both ways

Take a read here

click here

MCE2K5 23:20 20 Jul 2008

"I have a Solwise ADSL-SAR-600EW Router which I use to connect wirelessly to the Internet.":

Computer Connected to Router Wirelessly.: Got it.

"I have just bought a Lexmark X4580 wireless printer. I've installed the printer as per the instructions. No problem, I can print wirelessly.":

A Wireless Printer, Prints Wirelessly: Fine (As does Mine).

"BUT":

This is the Kicker.

"I get diconnected from the internet.": & "All the lights on the router are on as normal. I even tried connecting using an ethernet cable, but with no luck. Turning off the printer and rebooting the router sort the problem. However, I'd like to be able to do both.":

That should not happen, You should be able to Print & use the internet at the same time (I do).

"Do I need to but a dedicated printer router":

I Don't, Just using a Bog Standard Netgear 834GT.
I have the Lexmark X4850, Can Print, Surf & Network without turning off the printer and rebooting the router.

Did you run the Lexmark Setup With the USB Cable attached, Did you use the MAC Address that is printed on the rear left hand lower side of the printer.

also have you got a conflict in the IP address, I had to set mine manually.

Is there a conflict in the DNS Server Address.

.....I've been working away from home.

Anyway, in answer to your queries:

- It is a wireless printer
- I did follow all the set up instructions, including using the USB cable.
- I can't remember being asked for the printer's MAC address during the set up.

I suspect that there is some sort of IP address conflict. My daughter's laptop is running Vista and, according to her, gives her a warning about about another computer using the same IP address.

I'd be grateful for advise on how to:
1) Set the printer's IP address manually,
2) Finding out if there is a conflict in the DNS server.

Many thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?