Wireless Printing on my new laptop

gt9851 15:12 13 Oct 2007

I have recently bought a Gateway laptop to replace my ancient desktop pc. The laptop has built in wifi and I am connected to my broadband connection with a wireless router with no problems. The laptop is running under Vista Home Premium. I am interested in buying and running a wireless printer. My budget is about £70-80. I have been looking at the Lexmark X4580 (69.99 from pcworld). My question(s) are firstly is the X4580 a wise choice for light use - some letter and photo printing - nothing too demanding! Does anyone have any personal experience of this printer? Secondly do I have to purchase anything else apart from the printer to make it work - sorry if this is a stupid question - am I right in thinking that because my laptop is wifi enabled and the printer has built-in wifi then it should work without any additional hardware? Is the set-up to make it work complicated or could a thickie like me get it working without too much trauma? Thanks for any help or advice

Tom9851

Strawballs 11:01 14 Oct 2007

The only thing I would say about Lexmark is check the price of their ink compared to others.

Just read the details on that printer and yes your should be able to access it over your wireless network.

gt9851 11:45 14 Oct 2007

Thanks for that reply. Can you suggest any other wireless printers that might be worth considering that aren't too pricey? Thanks

spuds 12:14 14 Oct 2007

I have a Lexmark X5150. Cost of ink cartridges can be expensive, refill yourself (about 4/5 times) works out at about 50 pence per refill, if you know what you are doing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?