Wireless Printing on existing Wireless Network

lil27 21:26 11 Sep 2007

I have a wirless network between my Virgin Broadband and laptop using a Belkin 125G Wireless DSL Broadband Router with 4 port switch model F5D7231UK4.

click here

To use my printer (Epson Stylus Photo 915), i have to connect my laptop to the printer using a usb cable. The usb plug at printer end is a square connector and not the typical rectangle type of usb plug as is at the laptop end of teh cable.

How can I print wirelessly ?

1. Do I need a new printer that is wireless compatible?
2. Do I need a different router that will allow wireless internet connection as well as wireless printing or will my existing router currently do both ?
3. Do I need any additional form of network adaptor/router to use with my existing belkin router ?
4. Do I just need a new cable with square usb connector at printer end and RJ45 at other end for connection to one of the spare sockets on my existing belkin router. (Note one socket on router used already for connection to Virgin Modem) ?

A lot to ask in one thread and I hope you are still reading.

Ashrich 23:04 11 Sep 2007

What you need is a network print server , it can connect to the router via an ethernet cable , it will be given an IP address and enable you to print wirelessly over the network . click here , also , at the bottom of the page is a US Robotics MaxG wireless router with a print server built in for only £10 more than the print server itself .

Ashley

lil27 12:55 12 Sep 2007

Ashrich,

Do I just connect this print server to my current router (via ethernet lead) and plug my printer into it (via usb printer cable) and it will work or do i need to configure the set up. I am confused with the statement "it will be given an IP address".

Does this print server configure itself automatically with my belkin routers IP address or do I have to manually do this.

It took me a while to get my wireless network up and running and I don't want to play with things I do not fully understand in case I mess it up.

Thanks,

Ashrich 19:21 12 Sep 2007

As far as I am aware , it will be no different than if you plugged in another PC into one of the ethernet ports , ( via an ethernet cable ) and you can configure it through it's own interface as you would a router . click here for the set up details .

Ashley

lil27 21:24 12 Sep 2007

Thanks for the info Ashrich. I have bookmarked the webpage. Need to buy a Print server now. I will close the thread as resolved as I am happy with the info you have given me.

Cheers again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?