wireless printing

amosmoses 21:03 11 Aug 2007

Hi, can anyone confirm for me that the only way to print from a wi-fi laptop connection with a printer (connected to my desktop) that does not have a network card, would be to add a print server? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Rob

Ashrich 00:26 12 Aug 2007

Do you mean that the printer doesn't have a network card , or the desktop PC ? If the desktop has a network connection then you can enable file and printer sharing on both PC's then run the " add a printer " on the laptop and tell it to look across the network for the printer and the drivers , although , to print wirelessly the desktop PC must be running .

Ashley

amosmoses 11:18 12 Aug 2007

Hi Ash, thanx for the reply! Yea my desktop is connected to the printer via usb. The printer does not have a network facility. I have enabled file & print sharing on both laptop & pc ( i think) & shared the printer. When i go to add printer from the laptop i can see my pc but no printer is listed.
Any ideas?
PS. Firewalls are switched off.
R.

Ashrich 14:04 12 Aug 2007

Go into the printer properties ( start/settings/printers ) right click on the printer and select properties , second tab along should say " sharing " or similar , have a look there for the option to share the printer , that should do it !

Ashley

amosmoses 14:59 12 Aug 2007

Hi Ash,
seem to have resolved it one way or the other. Had to map the network folders via connecting as administrator. Once i did that it picked up the printer.
Thanx again.

R.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?