Wireless Printing

Heapsy 15:27 14 Jun 2007

Hello,
I'm new so please be gentle!

Currently at home I have a wireless router used soley to connect to the internet.
I would like to be able to print wirelessly as well and am aware I need to buy a wireless print server and printer.
Can anyone reccomend a combination or even a printer with built in wireless?
To make this more fun I use an Apple Powerbook while my wife uses a toshiba laptop running XP, is there any possibilty of 'issues' because I'm using a mac?

Thank you in advance

Mark

FreeCell 17:51 14 Jun 2007

Heapsy
You don't need a wireless printer necessarily as you can connect a network enabled printer into your router by using one of the ethernet cable ports. Depends on the physical location of printer and router as whether cable or wireless.

A good value network printer options is
:click here
Wireless network option is more expensive see for example click here

As you already state there is an option to use an existing or cheaper printer and buy a network print server box to put between your router and the printer. See example click here

Issue of Mac and Windows PC depends on availablity of drivers for the printer as you wsill need to install these on both computers.

Hope this helps.

Heapsy 18:24 14 Jun 2007

Thanks for your help, if I have any more questions i'll be sure to ask them here!

baja31 17:52 19 Jun 2007

can i jump in this thread sorry if its not allowed i'm a newbie here and having problems connecting my wireless printer to run from my (kids)laptops its hooked up thru the desktop via usb but i just cant seem to get it to connect to the wireless with the same wpa key as the laptops
its a brother dcp-340cw
i'm following the manual
menu
press 3.lan
3.set up wlan
1. set up wizard then it does a search for ssid etc
gives options for ad-hoc or infrastructure (which i pick)
then put the long key in then it says apply i click yes th connection error comes up
please someone tell me i'm doing something obviously stupid
and help me with it plzzz
naby thanks

baja31 17:53 19 Jun 2007

can i jump in this thread sorry if its not allowed i'm a newbie here and having problems connecting my wireless printer to run from my (kids)laptops its hooked up thru the desktop via usb but i just cant seem to get it to connect to the wireless with the same wpa key as the laptops
its a brother dcp-340cw
i'm following the manual
menu
press
3.lan
3.set up wlan
1. set up wizard then it does a search for ssid etc
gives options for ad-hoc or infrastructure (which i pick)
then put the long key in then it says apply i click yes th connection error comes up
please someone tell me i'm doing something obviously stupid
and help me with it plzzz
many thanks

FreeCell 08:43 20 Jun 2007

baja31
Start a new thread. If you jump in on another persons thread it just causes some annoyance as they receive an email for every p[opst of yours and people responding. Start your own and you will get emails informing you that people have responded to help.

In new post provide details of laptop make/model and O/S. If you don't have a wireless router and are trying to connect laptops and printer directly try selecting ad-hoc not infrastructure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?