wireless printing???

Rockarch 19:27 16 Feb 2005

I have set up a wireless broadband connection on his laptop for my dad using an adsl broadband router. He wants to be able to sit downstairs on the laptop & print stuff from the web to be printed out from a printer somewhere else in the house ie transmitted wirelessly. I don't know how this would work - can anyone advise what to do? He doesn't have a printer so we can buy the one that will work if it doesn't cost the earth.
As always thanks for help

FelixTCat 19:35 16 Feb 2005

There are two possibilities. Do you have another computer on the broadband connection? You can attach any printer on this and share this printer (provided the computer is switched on).

Alternatively you will have to either fit a printer server on the network and attach the printer to it or get a printer which has a network connector.

Rockarch 20:47 16 Feb 2005

Any suggestions as to a printer with a network connector as this is the only pc on the 'network'.Along the lines of a lowish cost inkjet is probably what would suit as its really just to print out emails, & info rather than anything more demanding such as photos.

FelixTCat 21:07 16 Feb 2005

Go to ebuyer.co.uk and look under Network for a printer server.

Compare the price of a printer server plus printer to that of a printer with a network connector - the latter can be quite expensive.

Sorry I can't help further - I'm out of touch for a while. Come back to this thread if you need more help - I will be around again tomorrow.

Ian 21:12 16 Feb 2005

I use the Belkin Wireless print server in my home office. At about £60 it connects two 2 USB printers and all of the 3 PC's and 1 wireless laptop can print to either printer at any time, independently.

The set up was very easy. It took about 10 mins per PC, mainly because you have to load the printer driver on each PC, but still, once it is setup it works great. I have used the Belkin telephone support, whilst trying setup the WEP and it was very good. It's actually very easy to setup WEP, I just didn't read the instructions on the screen properly.

The print server must be on the Sub Net Mask as all of the PC's though. If your modem/router has wifi built in this won't be a problem. In any event there are easy and cheap ways to get around this. Hope this helps, it beats paying twice the price for most other print servers.

Rockarch 22:08 16 Feb 2005

Presumably I can get a wired print server which will connect to one of the LAN ports on the router and then connect any old printer (with parallel port) to the print server. The printer can then be in the same place as the router which should be fine. Do any print servers take USB connections as that is what most of the current printer models have?

wallbash 00:01 17 Feb 2005

My set up is three machines hard wired with a USRobotics Router , with a parallel port attached to a Canon i865.
It was more difficult to fine a router with a parallel port , nearly all are now USB. So you should have no problems. good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires