wireless printer woe`s

rambus 22:05 05 Jul 2008

hi,wifes laptop can print off ok to lexmark wireless printer, cannot get mine to print, i can ping wireless router and connect to internet ok, but when i ping printer it times out.hoping for any advice/help, its got me beat.

skidzy 22:08 05 Jul 2008

Reload the wireless printer software to the problem lappy rambus.

rambus 22:16 05 Jul 2008

hi skidzy, thanks for your quick reply, have already tried what you said a few times and it searches for networks but cannot find any, if i select to manualy install i tell it the ssid and network key but still tells me it cannot find the printer, it`s got to be a problem with my laptop co`s wifes has no problem, stange one as i connect wirelesly to the internet without any problem.

rambus 16:52 06 Jul 2008

can anyone offer a possible solution to this problem please, as i am at a total loss. many thanks.

skidzy 20:23 06 Jul 2008

I have the Lexmark 1480 and not had a drop out to date.
Have you tried a system restore to a time it was working ok ?

There are a few things to try;

XP or Vista ?

If xp
Start,select run and type

sevices.msc

and enter.

Scroll through to any of the LXD services and check they are enabled.

If Vista
Start and type

services

and enter (agree to any UAC prompts) then same as above.

Again check in services for the Print Spooler,enable this.

Also check your sharing rights/permissions.

rambus 18:20 07 Jul 2008

hi again skidzy, have done as you said and all apears ok. i dont want to set up share printers i want to use independently. to recap both laptops are ibm t41 running xp sp3. the only difference that i can tell is wifes wireless card is 11b and mine is 54 a/b/g. router is set to b and g they both connect well to wifi internet ok. in my wireless card properties it says transmit A have tried to change it to b or g but wont change, dont know if that is a problem.

woodchip 18:57 07 Jul 2008

Switch both computers on and rerun Network Wizard in Control Panel and create a disc to use on the other computer while every thing is switched on

woodchip 18:57 07 Jul 2008

Switch both computers on and rerun Network Wizard in Control Panel and create a disc to use on the other computer while every thing is switched on.

Forgot also have printer switched on

rambus 19:14 07 Jul 2008

hi woodchip, thanks for looking at this problem. will i be able to use both laptops independently. ie,will not need to have both machines switched on to use printer.

woodchip 21:01 07 Jul 2008

yes

rambus 21:16 07 Jul 2008

thanks woodchip, i will do as you say when i get home from work tomorrow, will let you know how i get on, cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Software for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?