wireless printer server compatability

modelworld 19:56 21 Feb 2006

Having done some research I am not sure on wireless printer servers compatability Having just upgraded a desktop usb wired to two new printers canon ip5200 and ip2000 I wouild like to wireless link a laptop to these printers but cannot find any definitive answer as to what printer servers are compatable Canon just suggested theres at some £140 + I am hoping for a sensible priced option

ade.h 20:12 21 Feb 2006

Would you prefer to use the printers while the desktop PC is switched off, or is that not an issue?

modelworld 20:18 21 Feb 2006

Sorry yes I didnt put that bit but Yes ideally while the Desktop is off though I suspect my best answer and less possibility of it going wrong probably will be 'while its on' and then get the laptop to print through it somehow but not so sure on how to achieve this or is it simply send to print through a wireless connnection to the desktop

ade.h 20:27 21 Feb 2006

If you are happy to have the desktop on, then the simple and fairly cheap solution is the most obvious one; a wireless router (or modem/router if you prefer). Set up F&P Sharing and you're ready.

You can get wifi printer adapters, but I have no experience of these.

modelworld 20:33 21 Feb 2006

Thanks Ade Yes I think I am beginning to conclude thats the safe option certainly while Wireless printer servers dont seem very tested at the moment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?