Wireless printer but no phoneline,what router?

shinook 17:18 06 Oct 2009

I can normally work out things for myself but my local PC world haven't a clue and have given me 3 different routers & also told me I don't need a router. I have a Toshiba laptop with wireless capability and have just purchased an Epsom wireless printer. I explained 4 times to Pc World that I don't have a phone line, I'm running Orange mobile internet,obviously with a dongle. I purchased a Netgear WGR614 modem on their say so and I'm still having problems. I've got as far as installing it but it wont connect as I need another ethernet port for the internet. Please help if you can, I apologize for my lack of knowledge but I've had my printer now for a month and still can't use it....Many thanks for your help!

tullie 18:11 06 Oct 2009

Maybe ive misread this but what are you trying to connect,if you havent a phone line.

Jollyjohn 18:13 06 Oct 2009

What's wrong with a usb cable to connect laptop to printer?

shinook 19:15 06 Oct 2009

It's my wireless printer I'm trying to connect and I wanted to get rid of wires as I'm disabled and it's too dangerous to have wires everywhere. I explained to Pc World 5 times to 5 different people that I hadn't got a phone line and theyve all given me different answers

Jollyjohn 20:18 06 Oct 2009

OK - but what about power leads? How far a part a re the laptop and printer?
The printer will have an installation cd - what happens when you run that?
Ensure your wireless adapter is switched on on your laptop - either a switch on the side or maybe FN (function key) + F? ( 1,2 or 8 are the favourites but check with yor laptop manual)
I can't see the need for a router or modem.

shinook 22:03 06 Oct 2009

The printer is installed,it just wont print,its not connecting even though the wireless is switched on on the laptop. The printer will be about 5 ft away from the printer

ambra4 04:33 07 Oct 2009

“I'm running Orange mobile Internet, obviously with a dongle”

The Orange Mobile Dongle only gives you “Access to the Internet and your email”

and have nothing to do with the setting up the wireless system on the Toshiba laptop

to connect directly to the Epson wireless printer

You have to set up an Ad Hoc wireless network

Take a read on how to set up an Ad Hoc network

click here

You do not need the Netgear WGR614 Wireless Router once you have set up the Ad Hoc

network

ambra4 04:46 07 Oct 2009

This might also help as not sure what OS you have on the laptop

“How to set up an Ad hoc network in Windows XP & Windows Vista”

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?