wireless printer and dlink router

oldbeefer3 12:44 29 Mar 2010

Neighbour has 3 computers, a dlink router and a brother wireless printer. All was working until they had a broadband crash. She had to resetup the router. Now, all computers work OK but can't access the printer. I tried uninstalling the Brother software on main laptop. On reinstall, failed with " a firewall may be blocking...etc" Checked Windows F/W off, and turned Norton F/W off - no change. Tried to set-up ptinter from its menu - connection failed. What do I need to set up in the router pages to allow connection please (had a look at them, but nothing obvious jumped out at me). Sorry to be long winded, but trying to answer many potential questions.
Thanks.

oldbeefer3 21:05 29 Mar 2010

Wondering if something to do with printer IP address?

Technotiger 21:59 29 Mar 2010

Control Panel>Printers and Faxes then right-click on the Printer icon and select Share .. see if that helps!

Devil Fish 22:20 29 Mar 2010

when you installed the printer was it usuing a usb cable if so it may have defaulted to usb connnection check your printer ports to see if this is the case

right click default printer icon select printer properties from drop down menu then click the ports tab if set at usb change to wireless

good luck

oldbeefer3 22:32 29 Mar 2010

Thanks for the answers. What seems odd is that 3 laptops did work OK. Now, since the router was reconfigured they don't. Will go round tomorrow and check your suggestions.

Woolwell 22:33 29 Mar 2010

With my Lexmark I had to give it a fixed IP address through the router (a D-Link) otherwise the pc's kept looking for the old IP address (always the wrong one!). I don't know if this is the same for Brother.

oldbeefer3 09:07 30 Mar 2010

Could be, thanks. Will try it out this evening.

oldbeefer3 13:04 31 Mar 2010

Turns out the Brother printer needs a 'factory reset' (from its menu pages) if the router has been reconfigured. Done that and all is now well. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?