Wireless Printer

Chas49 19:01 27 Jan 2009

My Canadian friend has bought a wireless printer (an HP model) He has tried to install the software from the supplied disk. He has Vista Home Premium OS, Avast Anti Virus and Comnmodo Firewall. The disk gets so far and then stops before completing the install. He has ask for meed HP for advice and they say that his firewall is blocking the installation (presumably when the computer is trying to 'find' the printer?)

Any advice welcomed - from what he tells ne he has both Windows Firewall and Commodo running - I told him to switch one of them off and try again. But, if HP are right and if Commodo is the culprit - how can you get Commodo to allow the install? He says that Commodo does not put up a box asking for permission or otherwise when the installation stops - I find that strange as Commodo reports on everything or at least it appears to for me!

mgmcc 21:02 27 Jan 2009

As the wireless printer will be a "network device" and have an IP address, its address will need to be allowed for in the firewall's settings in the same way as the IP addresses of any networked computers. Ideally, the full "Subnet" should be set as "trusted" in the firewall's settings.

Chas49 21:31 27 Jan 2009

I suspect that he may not have connected the printer to the computer with a USB cable before trying to install the software, if so then I surmise that the software looks for the printer and, not finding it, simply stops. I have emailed my idea to him and await an answer.

HP suggested that the firewall could be blocking it, so, if my suggestion isn't the reason then this firewall has to be set properly and this adjustment is not immediately obvious.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

ManvsMachine win UK's only Gold Design Cannes Lions award

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?