Wireless plus Ethernet printer set up

john bunyan 18:58 14 Oct 2014
Answered

I just bought a Canon MG 6450 All in one. Basic set up was OK. I used a Ethernet cable to connect it to my Netgear router - my principal use is with a desktop. I also have a wireless connected Laptop and an I pad. The manual is a bit sketchy but I would like to be able to continue to use the printer with wired connection to desktop but enable it to print from the Laptop or the iPad without the desktop switched on. I assume I have to install the printer CD onto the laptop and get the iPad app? If I set the printer to wi fi, does that disable the Ethernet connection? I do not have a formal network where files can bee seen from each device. It appears to have all the up to date functions except fax. The router gave me an option to set "Air print" , which I enabled, but what is that?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:43 14 Oct 2014
  1. I assume I have to install the printer CD onto the laptop

2. and get the iPad app?

If I set the printer to wi fi, does that disable the Ethernet

1. yes

2. click here air print will allow your ipad to print wirelessly

3. No

john bunyan 19:50 14 Oct 2014

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

Thanks; will follow up tomorrow. Testing it all out - found it would not print via Photoshop - solved when I noticed the print was still set for the MP 640 even though I had set The new printer as the default printer in Devices. I did not uninstall the old one in case I decided to repair it by buying a new print head, but at £65 and only a 80% chance that was the fault, I think I will now uninstall the old MP 640 and dispose of it.

Woolwell 12:11 15 Oct 2014
Answer

I have 2 printers - one connected by ethernet to the router and the other by wifi to the router. Neither require the main desktop PC to be on to print from iPad or laptops. Providing the devices are connected to the router (wifi or ethernet) then you can print using the printer drivers on a Windows system or app on a tablet.

Do not connect the printer by USB to desktop otherwise you will need the desktop on for print.

john bunyan 12:23 15 Oct 2014

Woolwell

Thanks for that; I think I did connect by USB to main PC - I will alter it to Ethernet. Only problem is that I have been having drop out issues with my router recently but hopefully these are now sorted. I think the printer has an option to act as an "access point" - in which case could it be accessed direct by wireless , by passing the router? A final question, on the iPad I am not sure how, for example, to print a web page - I cannot find the air print icon. Do I need an App?

Woolwell 12:42 15 Oct 2014

I have had a brief look at the specs and cannot find access point and will check again.

The iPad requires an app for the make of printer. See Canon support and iTunes

Woolwell 12:51 15 Oct 2014

I have just read the manual and you can use the access point to print without the router.

Woolwell 12:53 15 Oct 2014

Ps You can scan to the iPad too using the app.

john bunyan 12:59 15 Oct 2014

Woolwell

Thanks again- the manual is a bit techie so thanks for the steer. Will set it up soon.

Woolwell 13:03 15 Oct 2014

If your wifi from the router is good (internet dropping out regardless) then I wouldn't bother with the access point as it could make it difficult to print from a non-wifi device eg desktop.

john bunyan 13:08 15 Oct 2014

Woolwell

OK. I have a good router - Netgear 4000 and it has an option to set the network printer for air print. Have downloaded the Pixma app, but how to use Air?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?