Wireless PC in a wired network

  robaxeman 14:34 03 Jan 2008

I currently have 2 desktop PCs connected to a 4 port router, which connects to my Cable Modem. I am thinking of getting a Laptop with a wireless card, but how to connect it to my wired network? Can I use a Wireless Ethernet Bridge, connected via CAT5 to the router, and then connect the laptop wirelessly via the bridge?

I know bridges are usually used to connect dumb devices like a printer to a wireless network, so I guess what I am proposing is using the bridge in reverse.

Will this work, and if not, how can I do it?



  recap 16:00 03 Jan 2008

I think the easier route would be to purchase a wireless router?

  Strawballs 22:28 03 Jan 2008

click here Any one of these will do and they come with 4 wired connections as well.

  robaxeman 13:21 04 Jan 2008

Thanks for your responses. I think what you are saying is replace my existing wired router with a wireless router that supports both wired and wireless connections. So my existing PCs can continue to connect via CAT5 cable, and the new laptop can use the wireless connection.

Sounds like a solution!

Thanks V. Much

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017