Wireless pc connection

  jiro406 20:31 07 Mar 2006

I'm moving my pc to another room. Is it possible to send my cable broadband connection wirelessly to another room to avoid running cables through walls and under floors. If this is possible what would I need?

  mgmcc 21:45 07 Mar 2006

Basically you need a "Wireless Cable/DSL Router", which will plug into the Cable Modem by ethernet cable, and a Wireless Network Adapter installed in the PC. How effective the network is depends on what the signal has to pass through in terms of brickwork, ceilings and the distance involved.

  mgmcc 21:47 07 Mar 2006

I assume when you say "cable broadband connection" you do actually mean the *CABLE* service as provided by NTL or Telewest?

  ade.h 21:56 07 Mar 2006

Don't make the common error of buying a modem/router; it won't function with your seperate cable modem and you need to keep using that. Modem/routers are required for ADSL users.

So as mgmcc says, make sure that you are using either cable or ADSL before buying.

  jiro406 08:27 08 Mar 2006

Thanx for all the help. jiro

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?