Wireless NTL setup problem

Lagoona 10:11 08 Oct 2006

Hello,

I want to connect wirelessly to my lap top downstairs from my PC upstairs - a common wish I know. I have a broadband NTL cable modem upstairs connected to my PC via the USB cable on the modem. THis modem also has an ethernet connection that I'm not using at the moment.

Now, I've just bought a router - a Netgear WGR614 54 Mbps Wireless router and tried to set it up. I can't follow the router setup installation because I'm using the USB port on the modem, not the ethernet one. I've since discovered that you can't use USB with the router. I also found out that the original NTL setup should have come with an ethernet cable allowing me to choose between USB and ethernet. I do have an ethernet point on my PC - when I connect to this from my modem ethernet point it can't connect to the internet.
I have 3 items showing up in my network connections -
NETGEAR FA311/FA312 PCI Adapter.
1394 Net Adapter.
USB Cable Modem 351000.

Do I have to re-install my NTL setup software so I can connect via ethernet before I can go any further? Or what do I have to do?
The man in the shop where I bought the router said it is so easy to set up it will seem like you've done something wrong. 3 hours later and I'm again thinking about giving up on computers completely.
PLease any help much appreciated.

Lagoona

ade.h 15:06 08 Oct 2006

At the very least, you will need an Ethernet-enabled PC - a borrowed laptop will suffice - to perform first-time cofiguration. click here, although I have not got a Netgear setup guide yet.

The man in the shop was right, though; it is quite straightforward. For the Netgear configuration, enter 192.168.0.1 into a browser and then follow the PDF or download it if you don't have it.

ade.h 15:08 08 Oct 2006

By the way: I just noticed your comment about installing setup software, but there should not be anything to install. Routers don't use software or drivers, though you may have been provided with an optional setup interface on CD (this just runs, rather than installing). You can use the IP method that I described above.

Lagoona 22:28 08 Oct 2006

Thanks ade.h I have got it working now and am sending this from my wireless laptop. My desktop PC was ethernet enabled but for some reason couldn't connect directly when ethernet cable was taken from the ntl modem to the desktop. This is why I got stuck. But when I plugged it in via the router it could connect. I thought I had to get the first bit working before I could move on to the router - but no. Maybe it was because previously I was using the USB connection on the modem to connect to the internet.

And yes the man in the shop (Evesham - very good in my experience) was correct - it was easy to set up once it could connect. It went automatically to the netgear router setup site. About the installing setup software - I meant the installation setup guide on the Netgear disk.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?