Wireless not finding network

shellship 12:46 21 Mar 2008

My friend has a Tosh lappy which he uses wirelessly at his home with BT broadband. We can't get it to seek out a connection at another location such as my home where we have a network. His card is configured to obtain network automatically but if I go into "create new connection" the wizard does not have "view networks within range" which my and my wife's machine does have. Might something in Norton 2006, which he has, be turning it off? Most frustrating. Connection with ethernet to my router is fine but no wireless.

Any ideas out there - I am supposed to know about these things and my reputation is looking a bit tarnished!

BurrWalnut 15:38 21 Mar 2008

Connect using Windows Zero Configuration:
Right-click the wireless network icon in the system tray and then click View Available Wireless Networks. Click the network name you want to connect to and click Connect (bottom right). Now type your WEP/WPA key and click Connect. After you're connected, you can close the Wireless Network Connection window.

Connect using the adapter’s software:
Right-click the wireless network adapter’s icon in the system tray, open it and follow it to connect. The software varies from manufacturer to manufacturer but it is a matter of keying in SSID and security details.

shellship 17:48 21 Mar 2008

Thanks but.......... The lappy can't locate any available wireless networks - it just can't see them. Any more ideas out there, please.

setecio 20:27 21 Mar 2008

Look for some BT software that can detect the networks.

shellship 22:22 21 Mar 2008

Thanks for trying. What BT software do you think can do this?

setecio 10:20 22 Mar 2008

It would already be on the laptop ... sometimes BT supplies software which manages the wireless connection. If not then it'll probably be Toshiba software somewhere on the laptop.

shellship 12:12 24 Mar 2008

Yup, you got it. There are lots of BT software bits that presumably came on when the original BT CD was put in. Found some Windows network things disabled - put them back. Found BT Wireless Connect Manager and managed to connect - briefly - with my router here. Also found on another forum (dare I admit this?)reference to the stuff that BT puts on and how to manage it. Thanks v much for steering me in that direction.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?